Friday 24 February 2012

7 months of struggling to get a breastfeed baby to take a bottle



When Edward was born I struggled to establish breastfeeding.  My ever patient Independent Midwives spent hours with me and with the help of a breast shield Edward finally managed it.  4 weeks later we had weaned him off the nipple shields and I was happily breastfeeding him.


However when he was 4 months old I needed him to take a bottle as I was due to go into hospital for an operation.  My husband and I had in the past successfully given him a bottle of expressed milk.  However 2 weeks before the operation cue the tantrums, the tears (both of us!) and the point blank refusal to take a bottle.

Almost 3 months on we have given up trying to persuade him of the benefits of the occasional bottle! We have tried all sorts of tactics and different bottles in the hope that he might take the bottle.  I finally admitted defeat.

However, today I was walking around the London Excel Baby show and came across the Milkysnugz stand.  Edward reached out to grab a hippo from the stand and I stood and listened to the sales pitch.  I thought I was probably throwing away £15 but Edward was pretty enchanted with the hippo.

This evening I put him on the floor to play with the hippo whilst I warmed a bottle and inserted the bottle into the hippo.  To my complete amazement he not only grabbed the toy but then put the bottle teat in his mouth and finished the entire bottle.

To all breastfeeding mothers who cannot get their baby to take a bottle please try this.

The Milkysnugz toys come in 6 different varieties:


  • The Dog;
  • The Bear;
  • The Hippo; 
  • The Elephant;
  • The Rabbit; and 
  • The Mouse.  
The Milkysnugz toys were designed to provide cuddly feeding aid that would make bottle feeding more fun and comforting for the child and encourage the baby to independently feed. 

Available to buy on Amazon and via the Milkysnugz website

No comments:

Post a Comment